Monday, March 22, 2010

HOW DOES IT FEEL?

It's going to be a tough day today. I can feel it already.
On my walk to the studio I passed by a wall of graffiti, on one of the panels was the close-up of a face of a woman with her head thrown back in laughter. It was nicely done, and stood out to me not only because the stylization of her face was very different from what I expect from graffiti imagery, but also because it reminded me of how I
don't feel today.
I thought of Bruce Nauman's painting, "Face Mask" as a result of it. If you spoke to me even five years ago, I doubt that I would have appreciated a piece such as this. But now I think the visual is so interesting because it says so much with so little visual elements.
It's like we're standing behind the letters F-A-C-E.
very cool.
Face Mask; the mask that we choose to wear is the face that we show to the world.

* Face Mask, Bruce Nauman (American, born 1941).
1981. Synthetic polymer paint, charcoal, and pencil on paper, 52 1/4 x 70 7/8"

No comments: